Don’t spend a fortune on your electricity bill just to keep your home cool. There are many low-cost and eco-friendly alternatives to keep the temperature down during Summer WITHOUT the use of your Air Conditioner.
Here is what you can be doing:
- Ceiling Fans – Ceiling Fans are one of the most common alternatives to an Air Conditioning System. They come in a range of sizes, so make sure to pick one big enough for the size of the room. Not only are they great for keeping a room cool in Summer by pulling the hot air up to the ceiling to circulate, they can push hot air down into a room during the colder months.
- Window Shades – Choose window shades with a white lining to reflect as much heat and light as possible. While initially pricey, choosing energy efficient window treatments will leave you noticing an almost instant difference in temperature.
- Using Your Garden – Planting trees around a house shades walls from the sun. If you don’t have the space to grow trees in your yard, potted trees work very effectively as well.
- Cooling Creeper Vines – Climbing vines are fast growing, hardy plants that can lower the temperature of a wall by as much as 50% when fully matured. Alternatively a high trellis can work very effectively.
- Awnings – Awnings provide shade for the outer layers of the walls of your home. They come in a range of styles, materials and colours.
- Tinting Windows – Heat deflecting window film can be a cost effective alternative to window shades.
- Plug The Air Leaks – Old damaged seas around doors and windows can let in drafts and the heat. A tube of sealant will fix most drafts.
- Mind The Heat – Keep oven or stove use to a minimum. Use a clothesline or clothes horse as an alternative to a dryer. Switch incandescent bulbs for LED’s or fluorescent bulbs. Not only do they release less heat, they use a lot less energy.
- Portable Cooling Devices – Fans combined with bottles of frozen water or water spray bottles. Provide you with a quick and efficient personal cooling system.
Need help installing ceiling fans? Call Omega today on 1300 558 730 and speak to our team of friendly electricians.