Ensure you prepare your home against potential break ins before goingaway on any trip.
Make sure your Christmas holiday doesn't become a disaster! We have compiled a list of handy tips to help keep your home safe this Christmas season:
- Double check the locks: This may seem obvious, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Getting deadlocks installed on doors and windows will also help improve home security.
- Don’t let the mail pile up: Leaving the mail and newspapers to build up while you are away is an obvious sign to someone that you aren’t around to pick it up. Before you leave, ask the post office to hold your mail and ask your newspaper delivery service to halt delivery.
- Update outdoor lighting: A burglar is less likely to target a house that is well lit up and clearly visible. Make sure you get any defective outdoor lighting repaired and replace any burnt out globes. Installing movement-activated outdoor lighting before you leave will help deter a potential break-in.
- Install timers on appliances: An electrician can install holiday timers on a number of lights and appliances in your home. Holiday timers turn on lights and appliances at random times of the day, making it look like someone is home and moving around the house.
- Make your home look occupied: Little things, such as leaving shoes at the door, keeping lawns mown, gardens maintained and asking a close friends or relative to move and park cars in your driveway can go a long way to making your home look lived in.