An electrical and plumbing inspection should be a vital part of any home purchase; it can impact the house price or require the previous owner to make repairs prior to moving in. Plumbing and Electrical systems are considered as part of the overall condition of the home.
1. Electrical Systems and Plumbing –
Inspect the interior water supply, fixtures and heating equipment. Make sure to check the location of the main water shut-off valve and quality of the drains, waste and vent systems. Making sure the water flows smoothly and isn’t blocking will save you thousands of dollars down the track.
An electrical system will need inspecting for ground fault circuit interrupters, service grounding and equipment and entrance conductors.
NOTE: An inspector may not check the condition of washing machine connections or water conditioning systems, so you make want to visually inspect these yourself.
2. Chimneys, Fireplaces, Heating and Cooling –
Homeowners will need to inspect air conditioning units themselves. Have an inspector check a building for:
- Central heating and cooling equipment
- Energy sources and connections
- Exhaust fans and vent systems
- Fireplaces and chimneys inspected for spark containment
Multiple aspects of a building’s interior need close examination:
- Inspectors need to examine walls, floors, countertops and cabinets for water damage and structural indicators
- Doors, handrails, windows and stairways will require inspection
- Appliances that require close examination and testing include cooktops, ovens, dishwashers, insinkerators and range hoods
- Garage doors and their controls need to be tested
- Note the presence or lack of smoke alarms and security alarm systems
Moving home? Or maybe you’ve just moved in? Find out more about Omega’s New Home Service – let us help ease your transition into a new home with inspections of your electrical systems and upgrades to get your home up to standard.
If you are looking at making a major change to your home or living situation, or know you’re over due for an inspection, call Omega today on 1300 558 730. Our team of licensed electricians and plumbers are ready to help and answer any of your questions.